Haji Ismail Gani building in Byculla in 2002. Byculla is byculla to bangkok pdf in marathi neighbourhood in South Mumbai.
It is also the name of a railway station on the Mumbai suburban railway on the Central Railway line. Sandhurst Road and Bhendi Bazaar to the South. Byculla falls under “E” Ward within the municipal limits of Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation or BMC. During the late 18th century, Byculla was an extension of Mazagaon, one of the seven islands that originally formed the city of Mumbai.
The area was low-lying Flats inundated during the high tide through the Great Breach at Mahalaxmi. However, the breach was closed by the Hornby Vellard project in 1784, which joined all seven islands of Bombay into a single island. This was followed by the construction of the Bellasis Road causeway in 1793. Thereafter the area saw habitation as Europeans living in the Mazagaon area started shifting here.
The famous Byculla Club was opened in 1833. The Byculla railway station was completed by 1857.
This was also the time the first mills came into this area, until then, used only for residential purposes. Byculla used to house many of the city’s textile mills until the mills shut shop and moved out of the island city.